Who we are:
BC Original Minds Association has been a leader in creative problem-solving programs for British Columbia students since 1983. Since 1999, BCOMA has held the license to offer Destination Imagination in British Columbia, a project-based learning opportunity that blends STEM with the Arts and social entrepreneurship. Students in Kindergarten to Grade 12 who participate in Destination Imagination improve in creative and critical thinking, build on their unique strengths, learn how to design and manage a project, and gain communication, critical thinking, creative and collaboration skills. A board of directors who meet quarterly, guides the organization and supervises the Key staff person (the Affiliate Director).
Vision: Using imagination to create a better world.
Mission: We provide programs and experiences that empower learners to develop the skills and creativity to improve their lives and communities.
- Innovation: Challenging the impossible
- Collaboration: Working together to achieve incredible results
- Risk-Taking: Braving the unknown and having the courage to fail.
- Diversity: In people, places and thinking.
- Life-long Learner: Be curious...always.
Looking for a way to channel that creative energy? Do you have or are you interested in cultivating the innovative mindset? This is an incredible opportunity to share your skills with an exciting, fun and engaging Global organization. All board members are required to participate in the policy making, planning, goal setting and evaluation activities relating to all aspects of the British Columbia Original Minds Association (BCOMA) which oversees the Destination Imagination British Columbia Affiliate. Board members assumes legal and ethical accountability for all activities of BCOMA and participates on Board Committees as required, or at the request of the President of the Board of Directors. This is a 3-year appointment.
General Roles & Responsibilities:
- Supports the values and mission of BCOMA.
- Makes a personal commitment of time, effort and financial support to the best of their ability.
- Attends all Board of Directors meetings.
- Prepares for Board decision-making meetings by reviewing all relevant materials prior to each board meeting.
- Participates in Board training and orientation programs.
- Participates in the:
- Development of long term and short-term goals and objectives.
- Management and allocation of funds consistent with community needs.
- Adoption and monitoring of internal annual budget.
- Evaluation of policy implementation and Board growth and development.
- Development of sound personnel policies and procedures.
- Represents BCOMA and acts as an ambassador at public events. Attends as many of events as possible.
- Participates on one or more Board committees as required
- Suggests candidates as future Board members.
Rising Stars is a Destination Imagination Challenge created for early learners. To solve the Challenge, 4- to 7-year-old children work together on performances complete with characters, props and scripts.
The Rising Stars Challenge
- Encourages creative discovery and teamwork in a fun environment.
- Aligns with any budget affordably, and can easily be started or incorporated into school, day care or other programs.
- Teaches basic story development and script writing, as well as simple building and construction. Encourages performing in front of an audience.
- Is non-competitive, but offers a tournament showcase opportunity.
Order your free Rising Stars Challenge Package today!
Pathways to Early Learning!
STEAM-based learning can help children develop critical and creative thinking, analysis, reasoning, and design skills and can also enhance later interest in STEM careers.
Our STEM & Literacy for Early Learners (Pathways) resource is designed to prepare 3- to 6-year-olds with a jump start in literacy and STEM concepts as well as engaging their interest in the arts. It includes 18 chapters complete with fun and engaging activities that are perfect for the classroom and at home.
Pathways is beneficial to parents, teachers and students:
Pathways helps kids learn the creative process from imagination to innovation through inquiry-guided learning, helping even the youngest students deal with new material or equipment.
- Kids experience the satisfaction that can come from overcoming obstacles and setbacks and solving problems.
- Parent involvement is encouraged not only with the take-home activities, but a variety of other initiatives as well.
- Pathways is designed to assist teachers and parents in teaching STEM and literacy concepts to very young learners.